SHOPPING FOR YOURSELF
Selecting the proper incontinence products is essential to avoid the following:
- Skin breakdown can occur due to urine wetness against your skin. Not only is it uncomfortable, irritating and often painful, but left untreated it can become infected and cause other problems. The key is to find a product that fits you well, has sufficient absorbency, and quickly removes the void away from the skin.
- Leakage and embarrassment can be the result of improper fit. In addition to now very specific sizing, there are many new and innovative fit-features around the legs, hips and waist available. The right fit can ensure containment and increase personal self-confidence. Beyond creating a more comfortable experience, there are many new alternatives that make products discreet and unnoticeable to others around you.
- Odors can occur when urine is held against your skin or clothing. Many products now feature specially treated fibers to change the chemistry of urine to reduce growth of odor-causing bacteria.
- Rising cost can happen if you are using the wrong product. Often time people think they are saving money by purchasing a more inexpensive product that may lack absorbency and fit. As a result they compensate for the product inadequacies by "doubling-up or even tripling-up" (especially at night) and/or changing the product more often. The result is the usage of far more products each day than are ever necessary thereby costing you significantly more money compared to finding the right absorbency and fit.
- Negative physical and emotional impact. Using the products that provide maximum care and prevent the negative side effects that incontinence can cause can improve both physical and emotional well-being. Things like leaks, slipping & falling, lack of adequate sleep, waking to a damp mattress or skin irritation have physical, emotional and economic consequences.
Try before you buy. How better to determine what works for your needs other than to try samples of different alternatives? You will be amazed at the differences in product performance, fit, comfort and concealment as you experience the Woodbury methodology of optimizing your product selection.
To find that perfectly matched product, call Woodbury at (800) 777-1111 or click here
Beyond the core incontinence products (e.g. briefs, protective underwear, pads, liners,...) there are numerous effective products and methods one can use to help address and reduce skin breakdown.
- Wipes – for cleansing and promoting skin wellness
- Underpads – light to heavy absorbent pads for patient and bedding protection
- Body wash & shampoo – gentle no rinse cleanser for hair, body and perineal area
- Moisturizers & Cleansers – skin moisturizers and cleansers, either separately or in a one-step product
- Barrier Creams – light moisture barrier that spreads easily and allows visibility to skin
- Soothing Ointment – zinc oxide and petroleum-based ointment spreads easily and provides a durable barrier for the skin
- Antimicrobial Cleansers – No rinse skin cleanser and antimicrobial wash in one step
- Antifungal Creams – Light cream that spreads easily and allows visibility to skin beneath (e.g. 2% miconazole nitrate)
- Skin Prep – Helps adhesive dressing adhere without damaging fragile skin
- Hyrdocolloid Alginate – Bordered and non-bordered dressing for light to moderate exudating 1 wounds
- Bordered Foam – Provides cushioned protection for moderate to heavily exudating wounds
- Transparent Dressing – Thin film dressing with high vapor transfer for lightly exudating wounds
To find that perfect combination of core incontinence products and accessories, call Woodbury at (800) 777-1111 or click here
1 An exudating wound is one that is leaking blood cell platelets and other fluids as it heals. Depending on the severity of the wound, the exact composition of wound exudate varies.