SHOPPING FOR YOURSELF
Selecting the proper incontinence products is essential to avoid the following:
- Skin breakdown can occur due to urine wetness against your skin. Not only is it uncomfortable, irritating and often painful, but left untreated it can become infected and cause other problems. The key is to find a product that fits you well, has sufficient absorbency, and quickly removes the void away from the skin.
- Leakage and embarrassment can be the result of improper fit. In addition to now very specific sizing, there are many new and innovative fit-features around the legs, hips and waist available. The right fit can ensure containment and increase personal self-confidence. Beyond creating a more comfortable experience, there are many new alternatives that make products discreet and unnoticeable to others around you.
- Odors can occur when urine is held against your skin or clothing. Many products now feature specially treated fibers to change the chemistry of urine to reduce growth of odor-causing bacteria.
- Rising cost can happen if you are using the wrong product. Often time people think they are saving money by purchasing a more inexpensive product that may lack absorbency and fit. As a result they compensate for the product inadequacies by "doubling-up or even tripling-up" (especially at night) and/or changing the product more often. The result is the usage of far more products each day than are ever necessary thereby costing you significantly more money compared to finding the right absorbency and fit.
- Negative physical and emotional impact. Using the products that provide maximum care and prevent the negative side effects that incontinence can cause can improve both physical and emotional well-being. Things like leaks, slipping & falling, lack of adequate sleep, waking to a damp mattress or skin irritation have physical, emotional and economic consequences.
Beyond the core incontinence products (e.g. briefs, protective underwear, pads, liners,...) there are numerous effective products and methods one can use to help address and reduce skin breakdown.
To find that perfect combination of core incontinence products and accessories, call Woodbury at (800) 777-1111 or click here
1 An exudating wound is one that is leaking blood cell platelets and other fluids as it heals. Depending on the severity of the wound, the exact composition of wound exudate varies.